Thursday, January 19, 2012

Love letter to Liam - month 6



Dear precious Liam,

I've just put you down for your morning nap. We're at your grandparent's house for Christmas, and for the first time, you are scared of your room there. It's a new development (and a slightly challenging one, I can't lie), but it shows how much more aware you are these days. You look at everything so carefully, and are constantly turning your head and tilting your body to get a better look at everything. You look for Billie as soon as we pick you up out of your crib, and chortle when you see her. She is endlessly entertaining to you, and it's lovely to watch you enjoy her presence.

These past 6 months have flown by faster than any 6 months I have ever experienced before. Every day you seem to grow and change before my eyes! Last year at this time, your father and I were getting ready to leave for our first trip to India together (and my first trip since I was 5). You were about 3 inches long then, and I was barely showing with you...now, a year later, you are over 26 inches long and weigh almost 16 pounds! That's crazy! You have 2 teeth, and have been drooling buckets and buckets, so we know more are on the way. Pretty much everything goes into your mouth and I've learned not to let my hand or fingers be one of those things. You have a very strong bite, young man!

You have the best smile that goes from 0 to 60 and melts my heart about that quickly! You love playing peek-a-boo, and I've been using that to let me do things like clean your nose, since lately we seem to end every meal with some pureed peas or sweet potatoes rimming one of your nostrils, but you just HATE when I wipe your face down after eating. It's all very stealthy, the peek-a-boo/washing your nose setup, but lately you've caught on, and it's getting harder and harder to fool you. Kid, I'm just trying to help you out!

This past week you've moved from coughing as your communication (it was almost like you thought coughing was laughing, because you'd smile gleefully after each cough), to spitting. You spit bubbles at us mostly when you're happy, and the rest of the time when you're playing, so at least it's not a case of 'I'm so mad I could spit') but it is a little odd, and a LOT juicy. You are soaking us and yourself in Liam-juice, and while I still love you very much, I do hope you'll understand sometime soon that having peas in your nose and spitting are not the most attractive things you could do.

The newest development is that you're starting to kiss us back, kind of. You open your mouth and head for our faces and make contact, and drool on us a little. At first I thought you just wanted to chew on my face - you have the same concentrated look as when you grab a new item to bite down on - but no, you just hold your little mouth to my cheek for a few moments and then pull away. It's so very sweet! (and wet, but that seems to be your m.o. these days)

Merry first Christmas, dear spitting-kissing-little-man. I love you heaps.  


No comments:

Post a Comment